St. Mark’s history dates back to 1660. It is one of the most famous and important architectural landmarks in New York City.
Restoring Beauty Capital Campaign
In 1978, a major fire devastated St. Mark’s. Thanks to an outpouring of community support—and the sponsorship of a pioneering work and training program, the Preservation Youth Project—St. Mark’s was restored.
Much to everyone’s dismay, decades after that fire, failure of the copper gutters of the roof has resulted in deterioration of the interior plaster of the east and west balconies. These and other improvements are vitally important to keep St. Mark’s around for another 300 years.